Listen to This Audio to Get a Full Overview in Two Minutes:
Although Bulk mail can be a cost-effective method for nonprofit organizations, but it’s important to understand the rules and regulations that apply to bulk mail for non-profit organizations. This comprehensive guide on Bulk Mail will explore the nonprofit Bulk mail rates and its benefits in 2023. We’ll also answer crucial questions about who can use it, what items qualify, and how to apply for these rates.
What is Nonprofit Bulk Mail?
By taking advantage of the discounted rates, they can reach a larger audience and raise awareness about their cause within their limited budget. It allows them to effectively communicate their mission and generate support for their educational initiatives, ultimately significantly improving access to education for disadvantaged individuals. However, it’s important to note that USPS has guidelines regarding the content and purpose of the Mail to ensure it aligns with the organization’s nonprofit mission.
USPS Nonprofit Bulk Mail Eligibility and Rates:
Who is Eligible to Use Nonprofit Bulk Mail?
To be eligible for Nonprofit Bulk Mail rates, an organization must be tax-exempt according to IRS regulations. The IRS typically recognizes organizations under section 501(c)(3) as qualified nonprofits. It’s essential to ensure your organization meets specific USPS criteria for eligibility. Some organizations can get discounted postage rates from the USPS because they are considered nonprofit. However, being a nonprofit for tax purposes doesn’t automatically mean you qualify for these special rates.
- Agricultural groups
- Educational organizations
- Fraternal associations
- Labor unions
- Charitable or philanthropic groups
- Religious organizations
- Scientific institutions
- Veteran’s groups
- Qualified Political Committees
- State or Local Voter Registration Officials
Who doesn't qualify for nonprofit rates?
- Business associations
- Chambers of Commerce
- Social, hobby, or similar clubs
- Trade groups
- Some political organizations
Note: Suppose your organization can show that it has been given federal income tax exemption under certain sections like 501(c)(3) for religious, educational, scientific, or charitable groups or 501(c)(5) for agricultural or labor organizations, or 501(c)(8) for fraternal organizations, or 501(c)(19) for veterans’ organizations. In that case, it’s generally considered eligible for the discounted Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail rates. Unless other information shows it doesn’t qualify, this proof is usually enough.
Also, you can find out more if your organization qualifies for bulk mailing permit for nonprofits by filling out and submitting PS Form 3624, the “Application to Mail at Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail Prices.” You can get this form online or at your local Post Office.
What Items Qualify for Nonprofit Bulk Mail Rates?
USPS Nonprofit Postage Rates:
What are the nonprofit postage rates for 2023?
The postage rates for Nonprofit Bulk Mail are more affordable compared to standard postage rates. The specific postage rates for 2023 can vary depending on the type of nonprofit mailing and the size and weight of the mailpiece. To obtain accurate rates, it’s best to check or calculate your nonprofit postage costs with USPS for the most up-to-date pricing information.
Mail Type Rate-
- First-Class Presort Letters: 55.6¢
- First-Class Presort Flat: $1.03
- Marketing Mail Letters: 35.2¢
- Marketing Mail Flats: 89.3¢
Know About The Rising USPS Costs:
Recent and upcoming rate increases from the United States Postal Service (USPS) are a concern, especially for nonprofit organizations that rely on mail services. These rate increases began in July 2023 and will continue into January 2024, affecting nonprofits and all mailers. First, let’s take a closer look at the numbers. The most recent rate increases in July 2023 included:
- 4.8% increase for first-class letters, bringing the cost to $0.66.
- A 5.6% increase for first-class presort letters (automation), raising the rate to $0.561.
- A whopping 15.5% increase for first-class presort flats (automation), reaching $1.234 for the first ounce.
- Nonprofit Marketing Mail saw its rates increase by 6.1% for letters and 10.3% for flats.
The January 2024 rate hikes are expected to bring additional increases, though somewhat less substantial:
- A 3% increase for first-class letters, reaching $0.68.
- A 2% increase for first-class presort letters (automation), up to $0.571.
- A slight 0.5% increase for first-class presort flats, hitting $1.245 for the first ounce.
- Nonprofit Marketing Mail will experience a 1% increase for letters and a 3.3% increase for flats.
Impact of Rising USPS Costs on Nonprofits:
1. USPS postage rate changes have put extra financial pressure on nonprofit organizations because nonprofits depend on direct mail to raise money and communicate.
How to Apply to Use Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail
1. Verify Your Nonprofit Status
To qualify for Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail rates, you need 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status. You can verify your nonprofit status by visiting the IRS website and searching for your organization’s name in the Exempt Organizations Select Check (EO Select Check) database.
2. Obtain a Nonprofit Authorization (NPA) Number
3. Adhere to USPS Guidelines
4. Pay Reduced Postage Rates
Here are some additional tips for applying to use Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail:
- Keep your NPA number up to date. Your NPA number is valid for two years. If you do not mail at least once during that time, your NPA number will expire, and you will need to reapply.
- Follow all USPS guidelines for preparing and mailing Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail. If your mailings do not meet USPS guidelines, they may be delayed or returned.
- Take advantage of the USPS Business Mail Entry Units (BMEUs). BMEUs are USPS facilities that help businesses process large mailings quickly and efficiently.
Bulk Mail Rules for Nonprofits:
Bulk Mail Rules for Nonprofits:
1. Size and Weight Restrictions: Nonprofit bulk mail pieces must meet specific size and weight restrictions USPS sets. These restrictions ensure that the mail is processed efficiently and does not exceed USPS guidelines.
Nonprofit Organization Obligations -
2. Providing Timely Updates to USPS: Nonprofits are responsible for providing timely updates to USPS regarding any changes in their mailing lists, organization status, or other relevant information.
Benefits of Nonprofit Bulk Mailing:
- Savings on Costs: The most important benefit is saving money. Nonprofit bulk mail rates are much cheaper than regular postage rates. This means nonprofits can use more of their budget for their main programs and projects.
- Reaching More People: The lower postage rates allow nonprofits to connect with a larger audience. This is especially useful for fundraising, inviting people to events, and making more people aware of their cause.
- Encouragement for Bulk Mailings: The nonprofit bulk mail rate encourages nonprofit organizations to use bulk mail as a communication tool. It’s an easy and affordable way to reach people, helping nonprofits achieve their goals more effectively.
How to Save Money Through Nonprofit Bulk Mailing?
Here’s how we can assist you in saving money on nonprofit bulk mailing:
2. Following USPS Rules: Our experts will ensure that your mail follows all the USPS rules and guidelines for nonprofit mailings. This is crucial to qualify for reduced nonprofit postage rates.
4. Efficiency: Using our services from design to mailing can help you save time and resources, avoiding errors that can occur when working with multiple vendors. This streamlined approach ensures that your nonprofit mailings are efficient and cost-effective.
At Accurate Mailing Services, we understand the importance of saving on nonprofit mailing costs while ensuring that your messages reach the right people. We take pride in being a part of the select group of Seamless-certified mailers, and we’re dedicated to helping you achieve your nonprofit mailing goals while minimizing costs.